Friday, February 13, 2009

Success!...


...Lori and I were in Grove City the weekend after NewYear's, and we did some shopping in the mall there. In one of the stores, I saw a 'Mr. Beer Home Brewing Kit' for $30. I thought about it and passed. After we got back home, I did some research and decided I wanted one.
Now, I'm sure that, like in every hobby, there are purists out there who say, "Mr. Beer isn't real home-brewing!" If so, bring it! I start with water and ingredients and end up with beer! 'Nuff said!
I found a Mr. Beer kit nearby, and got to mixing. It came with the ingredients for a 'West Coast Pale Ale'. No problem, I thought. I'll make it and try it, but even if it's not good, I can always get something better and make it, too. I wasn't a big fan of Pale Ales, at least I thought!
Exactly 3 weeks before the Super Bowl I got to mixing and got to brewing. I wanted the finished product to be ready on Super Bowl Sunday. After 2 weeks in the fermentor and another week of carbonation, the end product was ready. How would it taste? We would soon find out!
I took a 6 pack to the pre-game party, and we tried it. Everyone was favorably impressed. This beer was good! Success in the form of some lil' green bottles!
I am hooked!I have a batch of Red Ale, that will be the subject of the next post, that is ready, and also a batch of Vienna Lager and a batch of Nut Brown Ale that are fermenting. They will be ready soon, and I will give you all the details when they are ready!
Say what you will, but if you want to make your own beer with low expense and only a bit of effort, Mr. Beer is the way to go! I give it two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment